Manager for e-learning
Tel: 0131 651 1262
Michael is the e-learning Manager for the Learning Technology Section. He also chairs the Scottish Deans Medical Education Group’s subgroup for educational informatics and is a Specialist Subject Advisor for gaming and simulation to the Higher Education Academy’s MEDEV subject centre (Medicine, Dentistry and Veterinary Medicine).
Solo Author Publications
- Begg M. Game Informed learning and teaching in healthcare education. He@lth Information on the Internet. 2008(66):8-9.
- Begg M. Leveraging Game Informed Learning in Higher Education. Medical Teacher. 2007 Dec 2007;30(2):155-8.
Peer Reviewed Journal / Chapters
- McQueen DS, Begg M, Maxwell SRJ. eDrugCalc: an online self-assessment package to enhance medical students drug dose calculation skills. British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology. 2010;70(4):492 – 9.
- Begg M, Ellaway R, Dewhurst D, Macleod H. Logos and Mythos: the political dilemmas of web 2.0 in an accreditation-driven educational environment. In: Land R, Bayne S, editors. Digital differences: perspectives on online education: Sense; 2010.
- McKenzie K, O’Shea C, Megson P, Macleod H, Begg M. An evaluation of the effectiveness of online clinical quandaries in increasing trainee clinical psychology knowledge. The Journal of Practice Teaching in Health and Social Work. 2009;8(2):7-24.
- Dewhurst D, Borgstein E, Grant ME, Begg M. Online Virtual Patients – A driver for change in medical and healthcare professional education in developing countries? Medical Teacher. 2009;31(8):721-4.
- Begg M, Dewhurst D, Ross M. Game informed virtual patients: catalysts for online learning communities and professional development of clinical educators. In: Lindberg JO, Olofsson AD, editors. Online Learning Communities and Teacher Professional Development: Methods for Improved Education Delivery. PA: IGI Global; 2009.
- McGee JB, Begg M. What medical educators need to know about Web 2.0. Medical Teacher. 2008;30(2):164-9.
- Begg M, Ellaway R, Dewhurst D, Macleod H. Transforming Professional Healthcare Narratives Into Structured Game Informed Learning Activities. Innovate. 2007;3(6).
- Begg M, Ellaway R, Dewhurst D, Macleod H. Virtual Patients: considerations of narrative and gameplay. In: Burmester M, Gerhard D, Thissen F, editors. Digital Game Based Learning: 4th International Symposium for Information Design. Stuttgart Media University: Universitatsverlag Karlsruhe; 2006. p. 101 – 13.
- Ellaway R, Begg M, Dewhurst D, Macleod H. In A Glass Darkly: identity, agency and the role of the learning technologist in shaping the learning environment. E-Learning. 2005;3(1):75-87.
- Begg M, Dewhurst D, Macleod H. Game Informed Learning: Applying computer game processes to Higher Education. Innovate. 2005;1(6).
- Begg, M. Game Informed Innovation in Medical Education: An Introduction to Labyrinth, Poznan University of Medical Sciences, 2010
- Begg, M. Labyrinths, Maps and Branches: Heraklion Faculty of Medicine, University of Crete, 2010
- Begg, M. Innovative Approaches to Contemporary Medical and Healthcare Education. University of Newcastle on Tyne. Inaugural Lecture for Medical Education Forum, 2008
- Begg M. Tree Stumps and Teddy Bears; Identity, Games and Learning. Glasgow Caledonian University 2004.
Conference Proceedings / Presentations
- Peel N, Robson A, Richards J, Revie E, Garden J, Dewhurst D, et al. Can an online Masters in Surgical Sciences improve success in professional exams? AMEE; Vienna: AMEE; 2011.
- Dewhurst D, Harrison J, Forgie A, Begg M. Supporting Scottish dental education through collaborative development and sharing of digital teaching and learning resources – a model for other healthcare professions? AMEE; Vienna 2011.
- Dewhurst D, Cameron H, Turner N, Ward R, Begg M, Borgstein E. Supporting transformational change of Medical Education in Malawi. AMEE; Vienna 2011.
- Cromar S, Dewhurst D, Begg M. RECAL: a sustainable strategy for developing multilingual medical learning objects. AMEE; Vienna 2011.
- Begg M, Hammond M, Dewhurst D. COM:MAND – Supporting the creation, mapping, revision and management of curriculum and learning outcomes. AMEE; Vienna 2011.
- Forgie A, Harrison J, Dewhurst D, Begg M, Rennie J. The Development Of A Collaborative Learning Environment Online (CLEO) In Scottish Dental Education. ADEE; 2010; Amsterdam.
- Willder J, Begg M, Dewhurst D. Labyrinth and the Liminal Student. AMEE Malaga, Spain2009.
- Edgar S, Begg M, Maran N, Dewhurst D, editors. Improving psychological fidelity in scenario-based patient simulation for medical undergraduates. AMEE; 2009; Malaga.
- Edgar S, Begg M, Maran N, Dewhurst D. Improving psychological fidelity in scenario based patient simulation for medical undergraduates. AMEE; Malaga2009.
- Begg M, Dewhurst D, editors. Using e- and game-informed learning to develop new teaching and learning approaches to clinical education in Malawi. AMEE; 2008; Prague.
- Begg M, Ellaway R, Dewhurst D, editors. Daedalus: aiding the authoring process for virtual patients using
game-informed learning principles. SLICE; 2007; Utah, USA.
- Begg M, Edgar S, Dewhurst D. Simulation: towards new strategies for more affective experiences. AMEE; Trondheim, norway2007.
- Begg M, Ellaway R, Edgar S, Dewhurst D. Approaching the case authoring process for the next generation of virtual patients. SMILE; Sestri Levante, Italy: AMEE; 2006.
- Begg M, Ellaway R, Dewhurst D, Macleod H. Structuring User Defined Pathways through Virtual Patient Cases; development issues for applying a game-informed approach to authoring interfaces. SLICE; Lausanne, Switzerland2006.
- Begg M, Scollay J, Cameron H, Dalziel L, Parks R. The Online System for Clinical Assessment (OSCA). AMEE; Amsterdam, Netherlands 2005.
- Begg M, Bradshaw J, Ellaway R. Edinburgh Electronic Postgraduate Portfolio. ALT-C; Manchester, UK2005.
- Begg M, Evans P, Lam W, Suzuki Y, Takahashi Y. The GELATIN Experience (Gifu and Edinburgh Activities Through Interactive Networking). AMEE; Edinburgh, UK2004.
- Begg M, Ellaway R, editors. Making the Virtual Real: The true challenge for digital learning. Association for Medical Education in Europe (AMEE); 2003; Bern, Switzerland.
2010 eLearning Awards. eLearning Age
The award for Best Online Distance Learning Programme was one by the Edinburgh Online Distance Masters Programme in Surgical Sciences (eeSurg). The eeSurg environment is developed and supported by the LTS eLearning Unit, and is the product of an innovative collaborative partnership between the University of Edinburgh and the Royal College of Surgeons.
2005 Queens Anniversary Award for Higher Education
Michael was a key figure of the team that secured one of the prestigious QAA awards for the University of Edinburgh’s Virtual Hospital.